Having your four-legged companion by your side after a long day at work is a precious comfort. But along with the wonderful attributes of pet ownership comes a lot of responsibility. Pets shed, need exercised, make messes, get sick, and among other things, roll around in the dirt. At East Valley Animal Hospital in Gilbert, Arizona, we believe the best pet care is preventative care. While some preventative care takes place at the vet’s office—like vaccinations and regular check-ups—the majority of what is required to keep your pet healthy takes place at home. That’s where pet hygiene comes into the picture as an essential part of helping Fido or Fluffy stay well.
7 Essential Pet Care Hygiene Tips for Your Home
- Be diligent about flea and tick prevention. These pet parasites are famously known for carrying deadly diseases. In order to reduce the risk of fleas and ticks, Pets WebMD advises taking this preventive action each time your pet has been outside: “When they come home, run a flea comb or brush through your pet’s coat before going inside, reducing the number of pests it carries.” In addition, make sure your pet is up to date on their preventative parasite medications.
- Vacuum floors and upholstery on a regular basis. Vacuuming regularly will keep the air and surfaces of your house clean. This is particularly important if someone in your home suffers from allergies.
- Wash your pet’s bedding. Vacuuming your pet’s bedding is important. But in order to keep pet hair and dander, as well as potential pests and parasites from spreading or causing infection, it’s also necessary to wash your pet’s bedding regularly.
- Store pet food properly. Dry and wet food should both be stored in airtight containers after opening. Wet food should be refrigerated, and dry food should be stored in a cool, dry place. Avoid keeping dry food in the garage, especially in our Arizona heat!
- Clean food and water dishes routinely. As humans, we clean our own cups and bowls after every use. Similarly, your pet’s dishes should be washed regularly to prevent the spread of mold, germs, and other harmful bacteria.
- Wash and replace pet toys regularly. The stuffed animal toy that is Fido’s favorite: when was the last time you washed it? Unfortunately, it can harbor disease that can spread to both your furry family member and your human family members. Washing it regularly is a good idea for the benefit of everyone in the household.
- Clean your cat’s litter box every single day! If you own a cat, keeping Fluffy’s litter box clean is essential for multiple reasons. Cats despise eliminating in a dirty place, not to mention that disease and bacteria are spread easily through cat feces. And daily cleaning of your kitty’s litter box will keep the whole house smelling so much better!
By practicing these simple pet-related housekeeping tasks, not only will your home smell and look great, but you’ll also be ensuring the health of your two-legged and four-legged family members. For more information on preventative pet care plans, contact us or stop by and visit us at East Valley Animal Hospital in Gilbert, Arizona. When you bring your pets to see us, we will do everything we can to ensure your furry babies are well taken care of with the greatest compassion and with the latest technology available.